TAKE ACTION: Send a Letter to the Editor Regarding Bishops' "Fortnight for Freedom"
For months now, the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops has been pushing a false definition of “religious freedom” in an attempt to expand and strengthen religious privileging from the government and impose religion onto our secular laws. The worst part is that they are doing it all under a smoke screen of religious persecution.
Spearheaded by the Bishops, a two week campaign is currently underway that aims to protect discrimination based on religion, expand “religious refusal” laws, and allow religious employers to impose their religious beliefs on employees. In fact, this two-week “Fortnight for Freedom” is just the beginning of what the USCCB is calling a "great national campaign" that will be “extensive… occurring over a few years.”
The reality is that there are 40 million Americans who don’t identify with any religion, and among voters 54 percent say that churches and other houses of worship should keep out of political matters. The separation of religion and government is the best guarantee of freedom for all Americans—from nontheists to the religious.
Despite the noisemakers on the other side, we are still in the majority. It’s time to make our voice heard—to step up and say enough is enough!
Will you join us today in writing a letter to the editor of your area newspapers?
Here is how:
- Check out the Fortnight for Freedom events happening in your area. Sending a letter to the editor is most effective when it's written in response to a recently published article on the topic, or when it's concerning a recent or upcoming local event.
- Craft your letter by using our sample text below as-is, make your own updates to our text, or create your own letter from scratch. Remember that most papers will publish only 150-250 words of a letter, so try to keep it short.
- Find your local newspaper(s). Look for newspapers in your area at the town/city, regional and state level.
- Find the appropriate email address or web form page to submit letters to the editor. (Hint: this information is usually found in the "contact us" section of the website, often located in the header or footer of the website.)
- Submit your letter. Sign your full name, and include your local address, email and phone number—sometimes they like to contact you to verify that you are a local resident.
- Send a copy to the Secular Coalition for America or CC/BCC us on the email at [email protected]!
Subject: Bishops: Your freedom ends where my nose begins
For months now, the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops has been pushing a false definition of “religious freedom” in an attempt to expand and strengthen government privileging of religion and impose religion onto our secular laws. The worst part is that they are doing it all under a smoke screen of religious persecution.
The Fortnight for Freedom is simply another political campaign designed to chip away at the separation of religion and government. True religious freedom is the ability to practice your religion and hold your beliefs, as long as those beliefs do not infringe upon the rights of another to do the same. What the Bishops are asking for is the ability to impose their religious beliefs on others and discriminate based on their religion—often while accepting taxpayer funding.
The concept of the separation of religion and government was deemed so important and essential to our identity as a nation that it is included in our Constitution. That is because the separation of religion and government is the best guarantee of freedom for all Americans—both the religious as well as the 40 million Americans that do not identify with any religion. Those who truly advocate for religious freedom should speak out and stand up in the fight to keep our government and laws secular—and encourage others to do the same.
[ADD YOUR: NAME
- Atheists in Foxholes News
- Atheist Media Blog
- Camp Quest
- Friendly Atheist
- Greta Christina's Blog
- Institute for Humanist Studies
- No God Blog
- On Faith
- Our Humanity, Naturally
- Rant & Reason
- Sam Harris blog
- Secular Coalition for Alabama
- Secular Student Alliance
- The Meming of Life
- The Wall of Separation
- Young Atheist
Become a Secular Activist