Secular Coalition for Tennessee Monthly Conference Call
Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 15:00 - 15:30
Call In Details:
Phone Number: 530-881-1400 Participant Code: 978895
Secular Coalition for America - Tennessee Chapter Conference Call
Call in number: 530-881-1400 Participant Code: 978895
Tuesday, November 20th at 2pm CT
- Who is here and who is not here that needs to be?
- Agenda available at Tennessee chapter page at secular.org
- Explanation of conference call style and recording
- No one is required to speak up, but there will be opportunities to do so.
- Thank you for joining us for the Secular Coalition for Tennessee monthly conference call!
- The Secular Coalition for America is the only 501(c)(4) lobbying organization representing secular and nontheistic Americans.
- Based in Washington DC, we are working to make sure that you are heard on Capitol Hill, on the federal level, yet some of the most egregious violations of separation of church and state are being promoted and passed at a state level.
- The Secular Coalition for America is forming state chapters across the country to bring together secular and nontheistic Americans in each state to lobby on secular issues.
- U.S. Senate
- Senator Bob Corker won re-election
- U.S. House
- All 9 seats in the U.S. House were up for election
- All incumbents won back their seats
- State Senate
- 16 seats up for election
- Republican party gained 6 seats and now holds a 26-7 majority
- State Assembly
- All 99 seats up for election
- Republican party gained 6 seats and now holds a 71-27 majority
- CSICon in Nashville, October 25-28
- Wrap up report- did anyone attend?
- Any issues or events?
Chapter Development Status
- Executive Committee
- Flexible to availability and strengths of individuals who want to get involved
- Co-Chair Duties: Scheduling state coalition meetings as necessary, Building relationships with local organizations and keeping them informed; Scheduling and Coordinating trainings; Ensuring compliance with all SCA policies (listed in the chapter manual soon to be finished); Assisting with fundraising and ensuring donations are sent to the SCA; Contact person for SCA Research and Advocacy Manager; Upholding the respectful, diplomatic, and non-partisan approach of the Secular Coalition
- Communications Chair Duties: Official press releases; Letters to the Editor; Working with LD on action alerts; Coordinating messaging with SCA; Acting as spokesperson; Available for interviews or local speaking engagements; Draft action alerts with Leg. chair
- Tech Chair Duties: Website updates and blog posts; Social media; Answering email;
- Legislative/ Policy Chair Duties: Monitoring legislation for our issues; Gatherings research; Drafting action alerts with Comm. Chair; Tailoring SCA lobbying materials to be state specific
- Lobbying Chair Duties: Conducting lobbying visits; Building relationships with legislators
- Examples of Helpful Skills: leadership skills, familiarity with local groups, monitor legislation, conduct lobbying visits, mobilize grassroots, IT or website knowledge, social networking familiarity, comfortable speaking with press
- Interested in Executive Committee: David Roop, Mark Demonbreun,
- Interested Individuals: Kate C., Clay C., Tina S., James Phil O., Maggie G., Daniel B., Brandon J., Tommy C., Ron L., Thaddeus S., Bryan A., Tracy A. O.
- Anyone one else interested? Email Kelly@secular.org
- Volunteer List
- Those who do not wish to be on the Executive Committee, but still want to play an active role and help out once there is work to be done, please email Kelly@secular.org
- Executive Committee
- Resources Status
- TN.secular.org still under construction
- Temporarily: Secular.org>States>Your State>Tennessee
- Conference Calls
- Changing call schedule, more evening and weekend calls
- Agendas and Call replays available on the Tennessee chapter page
- Looking into technologies to assist with online discussion
- Logo - available on chapter page and facebook page
- Facebook Page – Secular Coalition for Tennessee
- Future Resources
- Promotional resources- brochures, stickers, buttons, handouts
- Informational resources – Research, fact sheets and policy papers
- Trainings and Guides – media and lobby trainings and guides
- National Resources
- Powerpoints –available at secular.org/resources
- National Secular Calendar – secular.org homepage
- National Secular Update Weekly Conference Call - Thursdays at Noon 559-726-1300 Code 199568
- What the SCA is doing until the next call:
- Getting resources in place
- Researching technologies to assist in chapter coordination
- Identifying leadership and putting Executive Committee members in contact with each other
- What you can do:
- Email Kelly@secular.org if interested in leadership or volunteering
- Sign up on our website to receive info and updates
- Check out Tennessee’s state chapters page for updates
- Like the Facebook page
- Spread the word!
- Kelly Damerow
- Research and Advocacy Manager, Secular Coalition for America
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 202-299-1091 ext. 204