Secular Coalition for Rhode Island Monthly Conference Call
Secular Coalition for America - Rhode Island Chapter Conference Call
Call in number: 530-881-1400 Participant Code: 978895
Wednesday, September 26 at 1pm ET
- Who is here and who is not here that needs to be?
- Agenda available at Rhode Island chapter page at secular.org
- Explanation of conference call style and recording
- No one is required to speak up, but there will be opportunities to do so.
- Thank you for joining us for the Secular Coalition for Rhode Island monthly conference call!
- The Secular Coalition for America is the only 501(c)(4) representing secular and nontheistic Americans.
- The Secular Coalition for America is working to make sure that we are heard on Capitol Hill. We fight in Washington DC against religious privileging on a federal level, yet some of the most egregious violations of separation of church and state are being promoted and passed at a state level.
- The Secular Coalition for America is forming state chapters across the country to bring together secular and nontheistic Americans in each state to lobby on secular issues.
State Government Update - November Elections
- U.S. Senate
- Sheldon Whitehouse (D) running for re-election, predicted to win
- U.S. House
- Both seats from Rhode Island currently held by the Democratic Party up for election
- State Senate
- All 38 seats are up for election
- Democratic Party holds a 29-8 majority, expected to hold
- State House of Representatives
- All 75 seats are up for election
- Democratic Party holds an 65-10 majority, expected to hold
- Voices United Concerts by Americans United
- Wrap up report
- Day of Prayer Proclamation issued February 8th, could be coming up again in 2013.
- Same-sex marriage amendment- certain that it is not on the ballot?
- Any issues or events happening in Rhode Island?
Chapter Development Status
- Executive Committee
- No set number of members or roles
- Flexible to availability and strengths of individuals who want to get involved
- Examples of Helpful Skills: leadership skills, familiarity with local groups, monitor legislation, conduct lobbying visits, mobilize grassroots, IT or website knowledge, social networking familiarity, comfortable speaking with press
- Potential co-chairs: Christine Eldridge, Adam Miner,
- Exec. Comm. members: Tony Houston, Steve Ahlquist
- Anyone one else interested? Email [email protected]
- Volunteer List
- Those who do not wish to be on the Executive Committee, but still want to play an active role and help out once there is work to be done, please email me [email protected]
- Executive Committee
- Resources Status
- RI.secular.org still under construction
- Temporarily: Secular.org>States>Your State>Rhode Island
- Conference Calls
- Initial organizing calls - Focus on setting up the structure, identifying leadership, spreading the word about the calls and building momentum
- After Official recognition - Educate and inform: track legislation, coordinate lobbying efforts and coordinate secular organizations.
- Agendas and Call replays available on the Rhode Island chapter page
- Looking into technologies to assist with online discussion
- Logo - viewable on Rhode Island chapter page and Facebook page
- Facebook Page – Secular Coalition for Rhode Island
- Future Resources
- Promotional resources- brochures, stickers, buttons, handouts
- Informational resources – Research, fact sheets and policy papers
- Trainings and Guides – media and lobby trainings and guides
- National Resources
- Powerpoints –available at secular.org/resources
- National Secular Calendar – secular.org homepage
- National Secular Update Weekly Conference Call - Thursdays at Noon 559-726-1300 Code 199568
- What the SCA is doing until the next call:
- Getting resources in place
- Researching technologies to assist in chapter coordination
- What you can do:
Next Conference Call Date and Time
- November 28 at 1pm
- Fourth Wednesday of the month
- Same call in number and code
- Kelly Damerow
- Research and Advocacy Manager, Secular Coalition for America
- Email: [email protected]
- Phone: 202-299-1091 ext. 204