Secular Coalition for New York Monthly Conference Call
Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 13:00 - 13:30
Call In Details:
Phone Number: 530-881-1400 Participant Code: 978895
Secular Coalition for America - New York Chapter Conference Call
Call in number: 530-881-1400 Participant Code: 978895
Tuesday, November 20th at 1pm ET
- Who is here and who is not here that needs to be?
- Agenda available at New York chapter page at secular.org
- Explanation of conference call style and recording
- No one is required to speak up, but there will be opportunities to do so.
- Thank you for joining us for the Secular Coalition for New York monthly conference call!
- The Secular Coalition for America is the only 501(c)(4) lobbying organization representing secular and nontheistic Americans.
- Based in Washington DC, we are working to make sure that you are heard on Capitol Hill, on the federal level, yet some of the most egregious violations of separation of church and state are being promoted and passed at a state level.
- The Secular Coalition for America is forming state chapters across the country to bring together secular and nontheistic Americans in each state to lobby on secular issues.
- U.S. Senate
- Senator Kirsten Gillibrand won re-election
- U.S. House
- NY lost 2 seats after the 2010 census
- 27 seats in the U.S. House are up for election
- Republican Party lost 2 seats, now holding 6
- Democratic Party held on to 21 seats
- State Senate
- All 63 seats up for election (previously 62 seats)
- Republican party previously controlled with a 33-29 majority
- 32 votes required to pass any measure
- Results from November election still not final
- Counting absentee ballots
- "With most precincts reporting in unofficial results, it appeared two Republican Senate seats would switch to Democrats leaving the chamber tied 31-31, but that's subject to counting thousands of absentee ballots that could erode razor-thin winning margins." NBC News
- State House of Representatives
- All 150 seats up for election
- Results from November still not final
- Any issues or events?
Chapter Development Status
- Executive Committee
- Flexible to availability and strengths of individuals who want to get involved
- Co-Chair Duties: Scheduling state coalition meetings as necessary, Building relationships with local organizations and keeping them informed; Scheduling and Coordinating trainings; Ensuring compliance with all SCA policies (listed in the chapter manual soon to be finished); Assisting with fundraising and ensuring donations are sent to the SCA; Contact person for SCA Research and Advocacy Manager; Upholding the respectful, diplomatic, and non-partisan approach of the Secular Coalition
- Communications Chair Duties: Official press releases; Letters to the Editor; Working with LD on action alerts; Coordinating messaging with SCA; Acting as spokesperson; Available for interviews or local speaking engagements; Draft action alerts with Leg. chair
- Tech Chair Duties: Website updates and blog posts; Social media; Answering email;
- Legislative/ Policy Chair Duties: Monitoring legislation for our issues; Gatherings research; Drafting action alerts with Comm. Chair; Tailoring SCA lobbying materials to be state specific
- Lobbying Chair Duties: Conducting lobbying visits; Building relationships with legislators
- Examples of Helpful Skills: leadership skills, familiarity with local groups, monitor legislation, conduct lobbying visits, mobilize grassroots, IT or website knowledge, social networking familiarity, comfortable speaking with press
- Chair: J Michael Malec & Need someone in NYC!
- EC: Dr. Steven Jonas, Bob M., Christine G., David F. Randy R., John Rafferty?
- Volunteers we have, but could always use more!
- Anyone one else interested? Email [email protected]
- Volunteer List
- Those who do not wish to be on the Executive Committee, but still want to play an active role and help out once there is work to be done, please email [email protected]
- Executive Committee
- Resources Status
- NY.secular.org still under construction
- Temporarily: Secular.org>States>Your State>New York
- Conference Calls
- Initial organizing calls - Focus on setting up the structure, identifying leadership, spreading the word about the calls and building momentum, outreach!
- After Official recognition - Educate and inform: track legislation, coordinate lobbying efforts and coordinate secular organizations.
- Agendas and Call replays available on the New York chapter page
- Looking into technologies to assist with online discussion
- Send recommendations for communication/organizing technologies to [email protected]
- Will still have call in November
- Starting new system in 2013
- Logo - available soon
- Facebook Page – Secular Coalition for New York
- Future Resources
- Promotional resources- brochures, stickers, buttons, handouts
- Informational resources – Research, fact sheets and policy papers
- Trainings and Guides – media and lobby trainings and guides
- National Resources
- Powerpoints –available at secular.org/resources
- National Secular Calendar – secular.org homepage
- National Secular Update Weekly Conference Call - Thursdays at Noon 559-726-1300 Code 199568
- What the SCA is doing until the next call:
- Getting resources in place
- Researching technologies to assist in chapter coordination
- Identifying leadership and putting Executive Committee members in contact with each other
- What you can do:
- Email [email protected] if interested in leadership or volunteering
- Sign up on our website to receive info and updates
- Check out New York’s state chapters page for updates
- Like the Facebook page
- Spread the word!
- Kelly Damerow
- Research and Advocacy Manager, Secular Coalition for America
- Email: [email protected]
- Phone: 202-299-1091 ext. 204