Secular Coalition for Georgia Monthly Conference Call
Secular Coalition for America - Georgia Chapter Conference Call
Call in number: 530-881-1400 Participant Code: 978895
Tuesday, October 23 at 2pm ET
- Who is here and who is not here that needs to be?
- Agenda available at Georgia chapter page at secular.org
- Explanation of conference call style and recording
- No one is required to speak up, but there will be opportunities to do so.
- Thank you for joining us for the Secular Coalition for Georgia monthly conference call!
- The Secular Coalition for America is the only 501(c)(4) representing secular and nontheistic Americans.
- The Secular Coalition for America is working to make sure that we are heard on Capitol Hill. We fight in Washington DC against religious privileging on a federal level, yet some of the most egregious violations of separation of church and state are being promoted and passed at a state level.
- The Secular Coalition for America is forming state chapters across the country to bring together secular and nontheistic Americans in each state to lobby on secular issues.
State Government Update - November Elections
- U.S. House
- Georgia gained 1 seat after the 2010 census
- All 14 Georgia seats in the U.S. House are up for election
- 8 of the 13 seats are held by the Republican Party
- State Senate
- All 56 seats are up for election
- Republican Party holds a 36-20 majority, expected to hold
- State House of Representatives
- All 180 seats are up for election
- Republican Party holds an 114-63 majority, expected to hold
- Freedom From Religion Foundation sends letter to Haralson County HS to stop prayer circles before football games
- Any issues or events happening in Georgia?
Chapter Development Status
- Executive Committee
- No set number of members or roles
- Flexible to availability and strengths of individuals who want to get involved
- Examples of Helpful Skills: leadership skills, familiarity with local groups, monitor legislation, conduct lobbying visits, mobilize grassroots, IT or website knowledge, social networking familiarity, comfortable speaking with press
- Interested individuals: Terry Bond, Richard Haynes, Ed Neubaum, Jewel Ross, Matt Braedick, Brian Neal Clyne
- Anyone one else interested? Email [email protected]
- Volunteer List
- Those who do not wish to be on the Executive Committee, but still want to play an active role and help out once there is work to be done, please email me [email protected]
- Executive Committee
- Resources Status
- GA.secular.org still under construction
- Temporarily: Secular.org>States>Your State>Georgia
- Conference Calls
- Initial organizing calls - Focus on setting up the structure, identifying leadership, spreading the word about the calls and building momentum
- After Official recognition - Educate and inform: track legislation, coordinate lobbying efforts and coordinate secular organizations.
- Agendas and Call replays available on the Georgia chapter page
- Looking into technologies to assist with online discussion
- Logo - viewable on Georgia chapter page and Facebook page
- Facebook Page – Secular Coalition for Georgia
- Future Resources
- Promotional resources- brochures, stickers, buttons, handouts
- Informational resources – Research, fact sheets and policy papers
- Trainings and Guides – media and lobby trainings and guides
- National Resources
- Powerpoints –available at secular.org/resources
- National Secular Calendar – secular.org homepage
- National Secular Update Weekly Conference Call - Thursdays at Noon 559-726-1300 Code 199568
- What the SCA is doing until the next call:
- Getting resources in place
- Researching technologies to assist in chapter coordination
- Identifying leadership and putting Executive Committee members in contact with each other
- What you can do:
Next Conference Call Date and Time
- November 27th at 2pm
- Fourth Tuesday of the month
- Same call in number and code
- Kelly Damerow
- Research and Advocacy Manager, Secular Coalition for America
- Email: [email protected]
- Phone: 202-299-1091 ext. 204