Secular Coalition for Connecticut Monthly Conference Call
SCA Connecticut Chapter Organizing Conference Call
Call-in number: (530) 881-1400 Participant Access Code: 978895
Wednesday, August 8th at 1pm ET
- Welcome message
- Who is here and not here that needs to be here?
- Explanation of conference call style and recording
§ No one is required to speak up, but there will be opportunities to do so.
o The Secular Coalition for America is the only 501(c)(4) representing secular and nontheistic Americans. We are based in Washington DC to fight religious privileging on a federal level, but the most egregious violations of separation of church and state are occurring on the state level.
o The Secular Coalition for America is forming state chapters across the country. Our chapters will bring together secular Americans in each state to lobby on secular issues.
- Overview of the State Chapter Model
- A Secular Coalition for America state chapter is unlike any other nontheistic state organization-it brings together interested organization and individuals for the exclusive purpose of lobbying government officials.
- The Chapter is part of the Secular Coalition for America
§ Covered under our C4 tax exemption
- Don't need to file any tax documentation
- Don't need to fundraise
- Have C4 Lobbying privileges to educate and lobby on ballot initiatives, legislation, regulations, meet with policymakers, etc.
- Cannot "electioneer" - endorse or speak out against specific candidates
§ As lobbyists we must be the diplomats of the secular movement
- Nonpartisan, respectful, diplomatic
- We believe secular values are American values
- Once your state chapter is organized, the leadership and a representative of the SCA will sign a memo of understanding officially recognizing the Secular Coalition for Connecticut and giving the group access to our resources (to be discussed in more depth later)
- Mission- to increase the visibility of and respect for nontheistic viewpoints in the United States, and to protect and strengthen the secular character of our government as the best guarantee of freedom for all.
- Purpose - accomplish its mission through cooperation between local groups and coordinated state lobbying activities.
- Our first step in forming these chapters is our monthly conference calls.
- Conference Calls
- Initial organizing calls
§ Focus on setting up the structure, identifying leadership, discussing how the legislature in Connecticut operates and the best ways to meet the needs of the Secular Coalition for Connecticut
o After Official recognition
§ Future monthly calls will become a way to educate and inform: track legislation, coordinate lobbying efforts and coordinate secular organizations.
- CQ Statetrack - State Legislation and Regulation Tracking Software
§ Follows legislation and regulation on secular issues
- When introduced or any movement
§ Full bill text and details
- What step of the legislative process the bill is at
- Original versions of the bill and amendments
§ Can create customizable reports
§ Committee hearings calendar
§ Automatic web publishing
- Subdomain of secular.org
- Same template
- Automatically updates with Connecticut info, but can be manually updated as well
§ Secular.org>States>Your State> Connecticut
- Conference Call dates, time, numbers
- Call replays
- Sign up to receive alerts
- Facebook Page
§ Please "like" the Secular Coalition for Connecticut
- August 19th - David Niose, President of AHA speaking to Humanist Association of Connecticut
- New Business:
- Executive Committee
§ We are currently working on getting all the resources in place
§ Dan Blinn and Daisy Cheng-Milano
§ In anyone else has any interest in leadership please email me, [email protected]
o Volunteers List
§ Those who do not wish to be on the Executive Committee, but still want to play an active role and help out once there is work to be done, please email me [email protected].
- Kelly Damerow
- Research and Advocacy Manager, Secular Coalition for America
- [email protected]
- P: 202-299-1091 ext.204