Internship Programs at the Secular Coalition for America
The Secular Coalition for America (SCA) seeks highly motivated undergraduate, graduate, or law students for unpaid internship positions in the spring, summer and fall semesters. SCA is a 501(c)(4) advocacy organization located in Washington, D.C. Its mission is to increase the visibility of and respect for nontheistic viewpoints in the United States, and to protect and strengthen the secular character of our government as the best guarantee of freedom for all.
As a small non-profit, this internship will provide ample opportunities to take on responsibility and produce work samples for addition to a portfolio. Interns work directly with SCA staff and have the opportunity to learn and assist in the four main departments of the office: lobbying and advocacy; research and outreach; development and fundraising; and communications through traditional and new media.
Internships for the Fall of 2016 are still available. Contact Dan Green at [email protected] for more information.
Fall 2016 Internship Program
The internship is flexible, but generally will run from Monday, August 22, 2016 through Friday, December 16, 2016. Interns must be available a minimum of 15 hours per week between 10 am and 6 pm, although full-time availability of 40 hours per week is preferred. Occasional weekend and evening hours may be expected. Transportation costs to and from Washington, D.C. will not be provided.
To apply for the Secular Coalition for America Fall 2016 Internship Program, please submit a resume and cover letter to [email protected] by Monday, August 22, 2016. Students are encouraged to apply earlier, as positions may be filled prior to the August 22 deadline. Students applying for the Legislative Internship must also submit a writing sample.
Excellent written and oral communication skills are required. Familiarity with Wordpress, the Adobe Suite, graphic design software or video editing are strongly preferred. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Writing press releases and blog posts
- Posting the SCA Morning Read to social media platforms
- Updating the SCA website
- Researching and updating media contact lists
- Developing SCA’s social media presence by promoting SCA content, expanding the SCA base of followers and managing interaction with current followers
State Chapter and Outreach Intern
The State Chapter Intern will work directly with the SCA Legislative Associate, Sarah Levin. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Periodically checking and posting state and local news, primarily relevant legislation and court cases
- Updating state chapter websites
- Producing and monitoring content on state chapter social media platforms
- Researching local and national secular community events
- Updating the SCA calendar
- Taking regular inventory of outreach materials
- Assisting in event planning for outreach events
Legislative Intern (Current Law Students Only)
The Secular Coalition for America is seeking a current law student to directly assist the Legislative Manager, Diana Castillo. This internship is ideal for first or second year law students seeking substantive, hands-on experience in the field of public policy. Applicants for this position must submit a writing sample. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Drafting memoranda
- Analyzing statutes
- Writing policy papers
- Attending Hill meetings
- Researching case law and precedent
Operations and Development Intern
The Operations and Development Intern will work directly with the SCA Director of Operations, Austin Cooper. This internship is ideal for students interested in learning about the day-to-day inner workings of a non-profit organization and students of business and accounting seeking hands-on experience. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Working with Quickbooks
- Drafting year-end tax letters for donors
- Receive training to assist the Director of Operations in accounting for both (c)3 and (c)4 operations.
- Receive training to assist Director of Operations in database management, specifically CiviCRM
- Maintaining relationships with small and mid-level donor base
- Tracking progress of fundraising campaigns
How to Apply
To apply for the Secular Coalition for America Fall 2016 Internship Program, please submit a resume and cover letter to [email protected]. Applications will continue to be accepted until Monday, August 22, 2016 but positions may be filled and accepted candidates notified prior to that date.